Posted by Kritarth Seth on February 22, 2013
Five on Friday!
We love Fridays here at Ireland’s Student Ambassador Blog!
So, to celebrate the coming weekend here’s five fun facts written by Indian ambassador Kritarth Seth from University College Cork.
1. The ship Titanic was built in Belfast, Northern Ireland and its last stop before leaving for New York was Cork, Ireland. Unfortunately, the ship left Cork, but sank on the way.
2. The famous Guinness Brewery produces a staggering 4 million pints of their famous stout every day. The population of Ireland however, is 4.7 million out of which, 1.2 million cannot drink. So, adds up to more than a pint a day for everyone.
3. Dublin, in the colonial times was a much bigger port and faster growing city than London!
4. When Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert died, the queen ordered to paint all the doors in the British Empire in black. Now, Dubliners don’t like to be told what to do, so they painted their doors in every possible colour except black. This is the story behind the ‘Colourful Doors of Dublin’.
5. The Library shown in the movie Harry Potter belongs to Trinity College Dublin, coincidentally this library also houses ‘The Book of Kells’, which is an ‘Illuminated Manuscript of Four Gospels’ of the new testament.